Monday, May 18, 2015

Summer Intern: What's with the tumbleweeds? But the food is impressive, so far!

Today is day number three into my internship. And let me tell you something, it has been  going by so fast already! I hope this just means I am having fun and that time flying is a good thing. I have only been here since Monday afternoon, and I have already done so many things on the job. What do you know, my teacher was right, everything we learned in class, I used in the first three days of work. Kids, pay attention in school.
Anyways, there are several things I would like to hit on today. 1) Things I find funny in the area 2) The Espresso Shoppe and 3) The Bubble Bash.
So here we go.

1)     Funny things…
For starters, I think it is just absolutely hilarious that tumbleweeds actually fly across the roads. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the city but I know country living (for the most part). In Iowa, I have never seen an actual tumbleweed fly across the road. It is just something that I would envision in a western cartoon, but no, they’re real. Who knows, maybe I’m just not in the right place to see them in Iowa.
Also, the drivers here really do make me laugh out loud. I got honked at for stopping at a yellow light. I’m sorry, but as far as I’m concerned yellow means slow down and stop, not press the gas and hope I don’t get a red-light ticket. I don’t know if it’s the area or if that one person just really had to go to the bathroom, but I like to follow the rules of the road.
What’s with the radio stations? As much as I love the country stations back in Cedar Rapids/Marion, the stations out here are way better. Within the first ten minutes of coming off of the interstate, my presets on my radio were already preset. If country isn’t doing it for me, there is always a great throwback song on another station. If there is one thing that I like the most about Lincoln County so far, it would be the radio stations.
Last but not least, why is there not a Target in the area? Target is my homebase, my mothership, my worship temple. Where am I supposed to waste time now? (Hint; Netflix)

2) The Espresso Shoppe
Today I had my first taste of local food at the Espresso Shoppe. And boy, was I impressed. I ordered
a ham panini, which came with chips, and a Heath ‘chiller.’ For starters, as part of the rules, I must tell the truth, so  will. I almost forgot to take a picture of my food before I shoved the panini into my mouth, and that right there means something. I’m that annoying person who has more food pictures than selfies on their phone. And I am darn proud of that. If I forget, I must be really intrigued in the food.
Anyways, when I took my first bite, I was overwhelmed with the taste of yummy goodness. I got an even bite of ciabatta bread, ham, provolone cheese (? don’t quote me on that), and what tasted like an onion and chive cream cheese. And the good Lord knows how much I love my cream cheese. So having that on the sandwich was a good surprise. I paired that with the good pick of mesquite bbq kettle chips and a Heath ‘chiller.’
Now let me tell you something about the ‘chiller.’ It was just as good as the onion and chive cream cheese, but sweeter, obviously. It is comparable to a Starbucks frappuccino, or a McDonald's frappe, but not comparable (That doesn’t make sense does it?). It is modeled after that realm of coffee, but the Heath takes it up another notch. I would pass up my usual venti peppermint mocha frappuccino with extra coffee and no whip cream just for another small Heath ‘chiller.’ That’s how good this little, sweet delight is.     P.S. I’m still sipping on it...melted...
            Highly recommend this little shoppe to anyone in town, and any people traveling through.
This is also where open mic night is held every couple of weeks. So enjoy the live entertainment

3) The Bubble Bash
Coming up this sunday is the Bubble Bash 5k. I am that person who will do anything, and I mean almost anything, to get out of running a 5k. But apparently you don’t have to run. So count me in.
Muriel Clark and I stopped into the KNOP T.V. station today to talk about it live. Okay, let’s be clear. I watched her on live T.V. If I went on live T.V. I could just think of all the embarrassing things that would happen. A camera would fall on me, I would repeat the same thing over and over, or (the most real possibility) I would mess up and just alway with my palm to my face, trying not to cry.

But all seriousness, it was pretty cool to see this happen live. Who knows, maybe someday I could be working in a place like that. ( Not on T.V.)
If weather permits, don’t forget to giddy on up to the Bubble Bash this sunday. The fun will be real and half of the ticket sales will go to charity. So make sure to come on out, whether you are running or not, I’m sure it will be fun to watch people.
To register, hit up the visitnorthplatte.com home page, there’s a link first thing on the page.

What’s the next restaurant I should try?


Link to post: http://visitnorthplatte.com/whats-with-the-tumbleweeds-but-the-food-is-impressive-so-far/

No comments:

Post a Comment